Saturday, November 05, 2005

SHANNA by Kathleen Woodiwiss




Get Chitika eMiniMalls


I REMEMBER the romance novel Shanna like it was yesterday. I read it a long time ago but it put me on the path to reading more novel of such ilk that it make my growing years rather fun.
For a long time, I was exposed to reading Jane Austen, Bronte sisters, and Georgette Heyer. They were interesting, informative and for the first two, literary.
Then came along Miss Woodiss. Now, she could really spun a tale.
Shanna is about a young girl of 21 who practically ran into the arms of a handsome, rugged stranger named Ruark.
Woodiwiss writes with such passion that it inflamed my heart. And I always thought that it was an exclusive emotion of women. Shanna is simply one of the best romance books I have ever read.
I was quite shocked when I first read it to find out that it was really so good. The historical background and other details that accompanied the story were so finely interwoven into the story that they were seamless.
Kathleen Woodiwiss got enormous respect from me after that novel. I believe I still have that book in my bookshelf somewhere. I couldn't bear the thought of giving it away. Hey, that was practically my first romance novel and it opened up my eyes to romance.
Man seldom like to admit they are romantic. It is taken that the romantic feeling is kind of sissy. I couldn't be more wrong. I learnt that fact later in life.
Basically, the short is like this: In the year of our lord 1749, a beautiful, young woman by the name of Shanna Trehern ran away from home because she didn't agree to an arranged marriage.
That man whom she was running away from was Ruark Beauchamp. The fact that he's a convict helped Shanna to attempt to get as far away from him as possible. They did actually got married but that was an early occurrence. Ruark was not so easily deterred because he pursued her all the way to the Caribbean.
And the romance of two strong-willed persons begins. The tug-of-way between obstinacy and love is an age-old feeling that governed the lives of man since time immemorial. Shanna is intelligent, fiery and passionate. Ruark is kind, slightly rough and domineering and also frightfully handsome.
So while they battle for their own individuality, love somehow intervenes and binds the two wayward hearts into one and set them ablaze with the eternal flame of desire.
Shanna is a novel of great emotional proportions. It is guaranteed to make the reader want to believe in love. Love is scorching, unpredictable but in the end, totally enjoyable.
Kathleen Woodiwiss has upped the ante on romance novels with her magnificent effort. She stands among some of the greatest romance writers of our times.



Find your destiny!

No comments: